People change their phone numbers for a number of reasons. Source
Are you thinking about changing your number?
The decision to change your phone number is easily influenced by many factors. From being a victim of targeted harassment to simply requiring a change in your life, there are a range of factors as to why anyone would decide to change their phone number.
Whatever your reason may be, it is indeed possible to acquire a new phone number, even on the same network your former number operated on.
How can I change my phone number?
Changing your phone number may involve certain fees. The process and fees involved, if any, differs from one network provider to the other.
Here’s a guide to how you can change your phone number on each of Australia’s three major Telcos.
On the Telstra network, changing your mobile number is a simple and straightforward process. To change your mobile phone number, simply call 13 22 00 and follow the voice prompts. Telstra will then provide a list of potential new numbers which you can choose from.
If you’re looking to acquire a number that’s easy to remember, you can opt for a Premium Number. A Premium Number uses repeated digits, pairs, and triplets, making it easy to remember. Premium Numbers are divided into two categories; Silver range and Gold range. Depending on the range you chose, you are entitled to certain types of number personalisations. It is important to note that the prices of each range differ.
- Silver Range Premium Numbers
On Telstra’s Silver range of premium numbers, individuals are offered the following personalisation features;
- Same number – Individuals are entitled to five of the same number e.g. 999 991, 888 88
- Numbers in sequence – Individuals are entitled to five numbers in sequence e.g. 323 456, 445 678.
- Triple sets – Individuals are entitled to identical pairs,g., 004 008, triples + sequence e.g. 111 123, 222 234 or mirror images e.g. 350 053, 062 260.
- Number pairs – Individuals are entitled to three number pairs,g., 11 33 44 or a three pair series e.g. 12 13 14.
Acquiring a Silver range premium number from Telstra will cost you a one-off fee of $200.
- Gold range premium numbers
On the gold range of premium numbers, individuals are offered the following personalisation features:
- Same number – Individuals are entitled to six of the same number,g., 111 111, 777 777.
- Numbers in sequence – Individuals are entitled to six numbers in sequence,g., 123 456, 456 789.
- Triple sets – Individuals are entitled to two identical triplets,g., 360 360; or double triplets e.g. 666 777.
- Number Pairs – Individuals are entitled to three identical pairs,g., 12 12 12, 13 13 13.
Acquiring a gold range premium number from Telstra will cost you a one-off fee of $400.
To change your number on the Vodafone network, put a call through to 1555 from your device. The service can also be accessed from any other phone by calling 1300 650 410. Changing your Vodafone number will cost a one-off fee of $19.95. It’s important to note that numbers currently in use or quarantined will not be available to switch to.
As with Telstra, Vodafone offers number personalisation. If you are interested in personalizing your new phone number, the network can arrange the service for you. Personalized numbers can be obtained under categories — Silver and Gold.
- Silver numbers
Under the Silver category, there are four types of numbers available:
- Last six digits contain a double and a triple,g., 04XX X66 999, 04XX X88 333
- Two doubles opening or closing the last six digits,g., 04XX 778 8XX, 04XX XX7 788
- Triple opening or closing the last six digits,g., 04XX 888 XXX, 04XX XXX 666
- Four digits followed by one final digit,g., 04XX X66 66X, 04XX X44 44X
Acquiring a Silver range premium number from Vodafone will incur an additional one-off fee of $55.
- Gold numbers
Under the Gold category, there are seven types of number specialisations available:
- Three general pairs,g., 04XX 363 636, 04XX 545 454
- Three sets of doubles for the last six digits,g., 04XX 224 466, 04XX 334 455
- Two triplets for the last six digits,g., 04XX 818 818, 04XX 606 606
- Any five repeat digits in the last six digits,g., 04XX X66 66X, 04XX X44 44X
- Any four repeat digits opening or closing the last six digits, g., 04XX XX5 555, 04XX 333 3XX
- A single, double and triple consecutive for the last six digits,g., 04XX 122 333, 04XX 455 666
- Three two-digit numbers appearing consecutively for the last six digits,g., 04XX 515 253, 04XX 454 647.
Acquiring a Silver range premium number from Vodafone will incur an additional one-off fee of $275.
Additionally, if you are changing your number due to unwanted calls and text messages, Vodafone offers extra services on their website.
While Optus does offer phone number changing services, there is minimal information concerning the process available on their platforms. Subscribers are advised to call general billing enquiries on 133 937, to discuss changing their numbers. Charges do apply to these changes; however, the specifics of these changes are not clear.
As an Optus subscriber, if you are receiving malicious calls and threats, refer to this article.
Customers may want to change their phone number for several different reasons. Telcos provide this service, and may charge a fee for it. You can change your number even while remaining on the same network provider, or do so while switching to a different telco. Changing your phone number is a simple and straightforward process but the specifics depend solely on your network provider.