We’ve all had experience of the phone companies we use. Most perceive the service they get to be ‘mixed’ at best. Customer support and service is an overlooked and important component of the service you are buying from your phone company. T98% of us now have a mobile phone. And customer service has never been so important.
Best SIM Only Plans May 2018
Boost Mobile | Best Prepaid Data Rates On The Full Telstra Network
Prepaid | 28 day expiry | On The Telstra Mobile Network 3G+4G
Boost Mobile are a reliable brand. They are the only phone company other than Telstra to resell the full Telstra ‘Retail’ Network. With Boost you’ll get:
- The full Telstra Mobile Network
Other phone companies resell part of the Telstra Mobile Network. Only Boost and Telstra plans allow you access the whole thing.
- Free streamed audio:
Data free streaming of Apple Music (requires subscription) on top of the data included in your plan.
- A range that includes 7 day and 28 day plans:
Boost offer a selection of plans including 7 and 28 day variants.
- Recharge options from $10 to $50:
Boost have a total of 5 recharge options for their prepaid plans, ranging between $10 and $50.
Boost Mobile Plans For Your Mobile
- Boost $10 Prepaid = Unlimited calls & SMS in Oz + 1GB data. Now only $5!
- Boost $20 Prepaid = Unlimited calls & SMS in Oz + 2.5GB data.
- Boost $30 Prepaid = Unlimited calls & SMS in Oz + 5GB data. Now only $15!
- Boost $40 Prepaid = Unlimited calls & SMS in Oz + 15GB data. Now only $20!
- Boost $50 Prepaid = Unlimited calls & SMS in Oz + 20GB data.
All talk time and SMS for use in Australia to Australian numbers. All data is for use in Australia. You can learn more about this company in our Boost Mobile review.
Belong Mobile | Fairest For Data
Postpaid | Month to Month agreement | On The Telstra Mobile Network 3G+4G
Belong sell access to the Telstra Mobile Network. They have a simple to understand plan structure with options on data, national ($5 extra) and international calls ($5 extra.) Belong also offer the fairest treatment of data that any phone company in Australia have. a ‘data vault’ feature. Whatever data you buy, is yours, forever. It just keeps rolling over until you use it or leave them.
With Belong, you’ll get:
- Data Vault:
All Belong’s Mobile plans come with ‘data vault’. When you buy your data, it just keeps rolling over until you decide to use it or leave them!
- $5 International Calls:
And if you want to make Unlimited International Calls (to 10 selected destinations – or to 23 selected countries’ landlines) just add $5.
Belong Plans For Your Mobile
- Belong Mobile $10 = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 1GB of data.
- Belong Mobile $15 = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz with unlimited international calls & text to 36 selected countries + 1GB of data.
- Belong Mobile $25 = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 5GB of data.
- Belong Mobile $30 = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz with unlimited international calls & text to 36 selected countries + 5GB of data.
- Belong Mobile $40 = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 15GB of data.
All talk time and SMS for use in Australia to Australian numbers. All data is for use in Australia. You can learn more about this company in our Belong Mobile review.
Strong, Simple Plans & A Well Known Brand
Amaysim | Prepaid Plans | Optus Mobile Network 3G+4G
Amaysim are the 4th biggest phone company in Australia with over 1m customers. They consistently have one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry and have prepaid (28 day expiry) plan range – just select the option you want in their checkout. With Amaysim, you’ll get:
- Strong plan range:
Amaysim have a range starting at $10 per month and rising to $50 per month. Data inclusions are up there with the best available and, with Amaysim, things are nice and simple. You’re just buying voice calls, SMS and data. There are no optional extras.
- New International Inclusions:
Any plan you buy, starting at $30 per month will now include free International Calls to 12 destinations.
- Great Customer Experience:
Amaysim are consistently one of the best performing†phone companies when it comes to customer satisfaction.
Amaysim’s plan range:
- Amaysim UnlimitedPrepaid $10 = Unlimited calls and SMS + 1GB of data.
- Amaysim Unlimited Prepaid $20 = Unlimited calls and SMS + 2.5GB of data.
- Amaysim UnlimitedPrepaid $30 =Unlimited calls and SMS + 5GB of data.
- Amaysim UnlimitedPrepaid $40 = Unlimited calls and SMS + 15GB of data.
- Amaysim Unlimited Prepaid $50 = Unlimited calls and SMS + 20GB of data.
- Amaysim As You Go $10 = 15c per min voice, 15c per SMS and 15.4c per MB data.
You can find out more about this company in our Amaysim review.
OVO Mobile – Free Video & Radio Content
Prepaid | 30 day expiry | On the Full Optus 3G and 4G Network
OVO’s offer a totally new way of looking at a phone company – they’re one of our best selling partners. Their plans are, pretty much on a par for data inclusions with the best in the industry. In addition to talk time, SMS and data, OVO’s plans include exclusive access to exclusive video content. All of OVO’s plans come with ‘OVO Play’ an app which lets you watch their free content on your plan. With OVO, you’ll get:
- Free Video Content – Motorsport, Sailing, Gymnastics & Water Polo :
OVO offer a growing list of free video and audio content. Motorsport fans might like the 400 Thunder Professional Drag Racing Series, Australian GT, Formula Drift and other petrol head live streaming. OVO Play also includes other sports like sailing and gymnastics. The price of the content is included in the monthly line rental charge you pay OVO for your prepaid plan. So, importantly: You won’t see your data balance decline while you’re watching them, the streamed content is free.
- Free Streamed Audio:
OVO’s plans also offer FREE radio streaming, also included in your plan offers access to the Tripple M network and other selected stations.
- OVO for Kids:
OVO’s plans come with the offer of free access to Parental Lock software. Buy your child the $9.95 plan from OVO and you’ll be able to monitor what they access on their phone and set times for it to turn off and turn on it’s own connection to the internet.
OVO Plans for your mobile
Picking an OVO plan is simple. All of OVO’s plans include Unlimited talk and SMS in Australia to Australian numbers plus superfast 4G data.
- $9.95 Unlimited = $200 standard calls and unlimited SMS / MMS + 1GB. Save 50% for each of the first 3 months.
- $19.95 Unlimited = $500 standard calls and unlimited SMS / MMS + 2GB. Save 50% for each of the first 3 months.
- $29.95 Unlimited = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 5GB. Save 50% for each of the first 3 months.
- $34.95 Unlimited = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 10GB. Save 50% for each of the first 3 months.
- $49.95 Unlimited = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 19GB. Save 50% for each of the first 3 months.
You can learn more about them and their unique content in our OVO review.
Kogan Mobile – Best Value on the Vodafone Network
Prepaid | 30 day expiry | On the Full Vodafone 3G and 4G Network
Kogan Mobile keep it simple. They have some of the most competitive SIM Only / Prepaid plans in Australia, on the much improved Vodafone network. With their multi month recharge options, Kogan add some genuine value and choice to the market.
With Kogan, you’ll get
- Monthly, quarterly or annual options : Do you want a single recharge payment with a 1, 3 or 12 month validity ? With Kogan, you’ll get discounts for multi-month purchases you were going to make anyway. They add the convenience of less frequent running out / topping up. And they keep the total predictability and flexibility of prepaid.
Kogan’s 30 day plan range :
Kogan’s 30 day plans all have Unlimited talk and SMS in Australia to Australian numbers. The difference is the amount of data which is included.
- Kogan EXTRA LARGE $49.9 – 30 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 23GB. Now only $4.90!
- Kogan LARGE $36.9 – 30 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 16GB.
- Kogan MEDIUM $29.9 – 30 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 6GB.
- Kogan SMALL $16.9 – 30 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 2GB.
- Kogan SMALL $46.90 – 90 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 2GB.
- Kogan MEDIUM $79.90 – 90 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 6GB.
- Kogan LARGE $99.90 – 90 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 16GB.
- Kogan EXTRA LARGE $139.90 – 90 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 23GB.
- Kogan SMALL $179.90 – 365 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 2GB. Now only $152.10!
- Kogan MEDIUM $299.90 – 365 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 6GB. Now only $223.90!
- Kogan LARGE $399.90 – 365 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 16GB. Now only $254.30!
- Kogan EXTRA LARGE $529.90 – 365 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 23GB. Now only $315.10!
All talk time and SMS for use in Australia to Australian numbers. All data is for use in Australia. See all Kogan Plans including 90 day and 365 day plans. You can find out more about this company in our Kogan Mobile review.
Great Value Data & Best For International Calls
Prepaid | 30 day expiry | On the Full Vodafone 3G and 4G Network
If you’re after an unlimited plan with incredible data inclusions, or you make calls overseas, in our view, you need look no further than Lebara. Lebara use the much improved Vodafone 3G + 4G network which covers more than 96% of Australians. With Lebara, you’ll get :
- Big Data on the Vodafone 3G + 4G network:
Lebara’s plans include enough data for even the most ravenous data eaters.
- Broad Range Including Plans With International Calls:
Lebara have Unlimited International Call plans at $29.90 and $49.90 price points. Lebara’s cheaper international call rates cover all the major destinations including : UK, USA, Greece, China, Canada, Germany, Denmark, France, South Korea and Switzerland. (Inclusions vary, see our review.)
Lebara have 30 day plans, 180 day plans and 360 day plans. Buy up-front and save.
Lebara’s prepaid plan range:
- Lebara Extra Small Plan $14.90 = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 2GB data.
- Lebara Small Plan $24.9 = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz with unlimited standard call to 10 selected countries + 3.5GB data.
- Lebara Medium Plan $29.9 = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz with unlimited standard call to 15 selected countries + 15GB data first month (5GB + 10GB bonus). Now only $7.86!
- Lebara Large Plan $39.9 = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz with unlimited standard calls to 18 selected countries + 26GB data (10GB + 16GB bonus).
- Lebara Extra Large Plan $49.9 = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz with unlimited standard calls to 50 selected countries + 30GB data (20GB + 10GB activation bonus).
- Lebara Medium Plan $160 – 180 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz with unlimited standard calls to 15 selected countries + 5GB data.
- Lebara Large Plan $225 – 180 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz with unlimited standard calls to 18 selected countries + 16GB data.
- Lebara Medium Plan $300 – 360 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz with unlimited standard calls to 12 selected countries + 5GB data.
- Lebara Large Plan $420 – 360 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz with unlimited standard calls to 18 selected countries + 16GB data.
You can find out more about this company in our full Lebara Review.
- We rely on mobile phones :
We’ve come to rely on mobile phones. For businesses, a missed call is missed work. For individuals, voice calls and SMS on phones assist in organising the lives of most Australians. They expect the service they buy to work constantly. After all, the bill you get from your telco doesn’t stop for a while if the network goes down does it ?
- Now we use them for internet access too :
And with people now spending 3 times as long looking at their Smartphones ( browsing, emailing and using applications etc ) as they do talking or texting, our ‘need’ for them is increasing every year. As a result, when the mobile phone you bought from a telco stops working – it’s an extremely disruptive issue to most people.
- It takes a month to buy and 3 years to use :
Every company in the world, including phone companies, are nice to people when they’re selling to them. That process might involve some internet research for you and a trip or two to the telcos shops. You are in the presales ‘stage’ of your shopping for about a month. When you’ve bought your phone, you will spend between 2 and 3 years living with it. During that time, the only experiences you will have of the phone company you’re with are their network coverage and the calls you make to their representatives in the customer support arena.
What phone company has the best customer service in Australia ?
The latest report on customer satisfaction from Australian telcos was undertaken in mid 2017 by the communications alliance and Roy Morgan. The report ranked those companies according to their performance over the previous 6 months.
- 74% of people are satisfied with their phone company :
This is a surprisingly good result. It does not apply across the board to all telcos as we point out below.
- 83% understood their monthly bills :
Telcos have really focused on making this aspect of their service clearer and easier to understand. There is a good commercial driver for giving this attention. When people got their first phone bill, they often failed to understand it. So they would call the call center. Which cost a lot of money !
- 60% of people were happy that their complaints had been dealt with well :
Which means 40% did not think they were done well. 9% of people were very dissatisfied.
What do all the statistics mean !?
What it means is that there is a significant difference between the levels of service you’re likely to get at the different phone companies. The gap between first and second places is actually pretty small. These stats change all the time. The Roy Morgan study is run regularly and tracks the trends more than it does the single point in time.
The reality of customer service is that it works best when you don’t use it. People consider their phones to be utilities. Like a tap, they expect the phone to work all the time, without fault. This, frankly, unrealistic belief is the start of the problem. No technology ever works all of the time. Of course there are going to be network outages here and there. If there is a problem with their phone, people call the phone network but Vodafone didn’t make your iPhone ! In many regards, the phone companies who get it right are the companies like OVO Mobile, Lebara or Kogan who sublet spectrum from the bigger networks. The fact that they don’t have to worry about maintaining and improving the network means they can focus on customer satisfaction through their call centers. They weren’t mentioned in this report but smaller phone companies often come out on top of this sort of customer experience survey.
Within telcos, teams of people are tasked with improving the customer experience. However, against that background, customer expectations rise every year too. The job for the telco is to outpace customer expectations so that the perceived experience improves. While service is only part of the overall experience of purchasing a mobile phone and using it for the 2 years of the contract, it’s key.
So is the quality of the network and the pricing you get for the deal you sign up to. These things are all related and they’re important to everyone. With that in mind, if you want to read more about network quality, click here : Whatphone’s Australian Network Quality review
This Month’s Hot Offers