The size of the screen on a current mobile is an enormous part of the experience you will have on the mobile you choose. Asking ‘ What phone has the biggest screen ‘ is a natural way to start a discussion on this device feature.
At Whatphone, we recognize that many people going through the process of establishing what phone is right for them find it a complicated decision. The Whatphone team have worked in telecommunications companies for years and know the truth. The truth is that finding what phone is right for you is really simple.
At Whatphone, we show only details relating to the top 7 mobile phones. More than 90% of Australians buy the top 7 devices.
Then, we review the pricing across the top 4 telcos – Vodafone Australia, Telstra, Virgin Mobile and Optus – to establish where the best price plan deals can be found.
What phone has the biggest screen ? What’s the shortlist ?
What phone has the biggest screen ? The Current Whatphone top 7 devices in order of decreasing screen area :
( Note : Click the name to access the Whatphone Product Page with full details of all these devices )
- The Samsung Galaxy Note. High Definition Super AMOLED screen. Biggest in market.
- The Samsung Galaxy S3. High Definition Super AMOLED screen.
- The HTC 1X. Super LCD screen.
- The Samsung Galaxy Nexus. High Definition Super AMOLED screen.
- The Samsung Galaxy S2. Super LCD screen.
- The HTC 1S. Super AMOLED screen.
- The iPhone 4S. ‘Retina’ Display
Remember, the primary statistic you will see for screen size is the length of the longest element of the screen, the diagonal.
We have tried to demonstrate the sizes of the screens in as many ways as possible.
First, we have a table showing the Whatphone top 7 devices with screen measurements in inches.
This allows calculation of the Pixels Per Inch statistic which is a key element in defining the quality of the screen.
Second, the same chart, in centimeters for those used to metric measurements.
Finally, this might be the most important chart – the area of the screen. i.e. The device’s screen width x height.
You’ll see there is an enormous 71% difference between the area of the screen on the Samsung Galaxy Note and the iPhone 4S !
What phone has the biggest screen ? Diagrams.
Following the Note, the similar screen sizes of the Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Nexus and HTC 1X means they are all comparable devices for this feature.
Finally, the HTC 1S, Samsung Galaxy S2 and iPhone 4S are also of comparable size to each other.
In the opinion of Whatphone, the size of the screen is only one factor. We’ve included the type of screen here. Our experience is that :
- Super AMOLED screens give the richest, deepest, most saturated colors – they’re great for videos and browsing. The Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note, Samsung Galaxy S2 and HTC One X all have this type of screen.
- The Super LCD screen on the HTC 1X can look slightly lighter and more washed out. They work better in direct sunlight.
- The Retina display sits in the middle.I find it better than Super AMOLED in brighter sunlight but I prefer the contrast on Super AMOLED screens. On top of that, I think that, these days, the iPhone 4S screen is just to small. Way to small !
If you’d like to ask questions about this article or have any comments, we’d love to hear from you through the ‘Get In Touch’ section above.
And if you’d like to track the pricing of these devices, why not sign up to the free email ? We’ll send you a weekly pricing update so you get the best price plan deal and remove you from our database after 31 days !