What is Channel 9?
The Nine Network — also referred to as Channel 9 or Nine — is Australia’s highest rated television network. Founded in 1956, Channel 9 is one of Australia’s five free-to-air television services.
Free-to-air refers to television services that you can pick up on your TV set free of charge. Having free TV these days is a rarity, with the many subscription-based models available today. Hence, the popularity of Channel 9.
Now, the Nine Network can also be streamed on your mobile device.
What is 9Now?
9Now is an online streaming and catch-up service offered by the Nine Networks. As common in the digital age, television networks are now optimizing their services beyond traditional TV broadcasting. The Nine Network has done just that with 9Now.
The 9Now official logo. Source
With the 9Now app, Channel 9 can be streamed on mobile devices. Aussies are able to access programs run by the network (both present and past episodes) at zero cost. Unlike other entertainment streaming platforms such as Netflix or Hulu, viewers are not required to pay any fees in order to access programs on the network.
What kind of programs can be found on 9Now?
A myriad of television programs can be found on the 9Now platform. These programs can be separated into distinct genres, such as
- General Entertainment and Movies (GEM);
- GO! (Geared towards a youthful audience);
- Life (Reality TV and Lifestyle);
- Sports, and more.
How can I gain access to 9Now?
AS stated, the 9Now application and online streaming platform is entirely free. Individuals looking to gain access to content available on the platform will need to register a free account for the service. This can be done on both the app and the network’s online platform.
Once registered, you gain access to all content on the platform with an active internet connection — and at no cost.
What are the perks associated with SBS on demand?
There are numerous perks associated with streaming video content from the 9Now platform, such as:
- Free service — Perhaps, the biggest perk associated with the 9Now streaming service is the fact that it is absolutely free. Subscribers are not required to pay any subscription fees in order to access the service.
- Widely available — 9Now is a widely available service. It can be accessed across the country and over a myriad of technological devices.
- No limits — On the service, there is no limit to the amount of videos which can be streamed or length of period spent streaming.
On what devices can I gain access to 9Now?
9Now is compatible with a wide range of devices.
- Smartphones and tablets — 9Now can be accessed on Apple devices running on iOS 9.0 and above, as well as Android devices running on Android 4.4 and above.
- Internet-enabled television sets and set-top boxes — Stream 9Now services through Telstra TV or Fetch set-top boxes, as well as Google Chromecast, Apple TV 4, Sony, LG, and Samsung Smart TVs.
- Gaming Consoles — Entertain yourself with 9Now shows on your PlayStation 4.
Final words: Some things to consider
When utilizing the 9Now streaming service, pay attention to your data consumption. Streaming video content —at any resolution — can be extremely data intensive. The service platform can utilize as ‘low’ as 100 Megabytes per hour (Mbps) for streaming at lower quality resolutions, and as high as 700MB per hour for ‘very high’ quality resolutions.
If you are unable to regulate the resolution of the video from the streaming device, chances are you’re streaming with a very high resolution which could incur steep overage charges once allocated balance is exhausted. In order to avoid situations such as these, it is advisable that individuals who spend an ample amount of time streaming videos get large — unlimited, if possible — data plans from their telco. That way, they are able to avoid steep overage charges while enjoying the streaming service at no cost.