Trade in your old phone. img src
All of the major telcos offer trade-in options for your old phone
New phones are expensive these days, but that doesn’t mean you can’t afford one. Instead of paying a ton for that new flagship device, just trade in your old phone to cash in on huge savings.
It’s not difficult either – the three major telcos offer trade-in options for your old phone. In this post, we’ll tell you all about the trade-in options from Telstra, Optus, and TPG Telecom (Vodafone).
With COVID-19 causing a recession, now is the best time to trade-in your old phone
Measures taken to stem the spread of the coronavirus put Australians at home for a long time. This had a significant effect on the economy as jobs were lost and businesses closed. Confidence dropped, resulting in an economic downturn.
An IRI Australia survey indicates that 98 percent of Australians expected the economic downturn to last for several months. Eighty-eight percent predicted more than 6 months. As a result, Australians plan to spend less for a while as a result of COVID-19.
If you’re one of the many Australians looking to save money these days, then trading in your old phone for a new one will help you do just that.
How to trade in your old phone to the major telcos
The best part about trading in your old phone to a telco, is that they usually you allow you spend the credit on whatever you want, so long as it’s within the telco.
For instance, if you trade in your phone to Telstra, you will be credited with the determined value, which you can then use to cover any Telstra-related services like your phone bill – not just to purchase a new phone.
So here’s a look at the trade-in steps for Telstra, Optus, and TPG Telecom (Vodafone):
Telstra old phone trade-in options
Before we jump to the steps of how to trade-in your phone with Telstra, there are some things you need to know.
First, you have to already be a Telstra customer on a postpaid plan before you can trade in your old phone. But that’s not difficult – just sign up for a Telstra plan if you’re convinced you’d like to stick with them for the trade in. It would be a good idea to check what amount Telstra will offer you for your old phone before making your decision.
Second, Telstra only offers a trade-in option online. If you’re looking to trade in your old phone in stores, then Telstra might not be your best option.
Here are the steps:
- Log in to your My Telstra Service account on the web or the Telstra app.
- Click Service, click on your phone number, then click “Got a new device?”
- Go through the value assessment to determine what your phone is worth. If Telstra is fine with the device you’re offering and you’re fine with their offer, then follow the instructions Telstra provides to send your phone to Kingfisher (trade-in partner to Telstra).
- You will receive a credit on your bill within 60 days.
Optus old phone trade-in options
Optus also has the same subscription requirement – you have to be an Optus customer to trade in your old phone to them.
However, Optus doesn’t only offer online trade-in options. You can also trade in your phone in stores. This means that you can complete the entire process at once – sign up to become an Optus customer, and trade in your phone on the spot.
Here are the steps:
- Get a quote for your old phone on the Optus trade in website.
- If you want to continue with your trade-in process online, you’ll be sent a package to mail your phone with. OR
- If you’re trading in your phone in an Optus store, just hand it over to the representative.
- You’ll be credited for the quoted trade-in price on your phone bill within a month or two.
TPG Telecom (Vodafone) old phone trade-in options
Vodafone will also let you trade-in your phone in stores, or after speaking with them over the phone. If you want a completely online trade in process where you don’t have to see or speak to someone, then Vodafone is probably not your best bet.
You will also be able to trade in your phone on the spot after signing up as a new customer.
To trade in your phone:
- Check to see if your phone is eligible to be traded in by visiting the Vodafone trade-in site and entering some details about your device.
- Download the Vodafone trade-in app, and it will assess your phone to determine the condition.
- Go to a Vodafone store with your device to trade it in, or give Vodafone a call to do so via mail.
That new flagship device is not out of reach is you trade-in your old phone to discount the costs. After all, you likely won’t be needing your old-phone after getting a new one anyway, so why not save a few bucks – or a lot?
And because the major telcos credit your account without binding you to purchase a phone, you can spend your trade-in value on whatever you want, or even leave it on your account to cover upcoming phone bills.