Optus improves customer service with Google Assistant
Are you tired of calling up telcos only to experience a recorded voice that asks you to pick from an array of choices – none of which address your needs? Are you fed up with the long call service wait times and the operator’s endless questions to verify your identity- just because you wanted to check your account balance? Here is some good news. Optus is the first telco in Australia to use Google Assistant to make customer service accessible and efficient. Just ‘Ask Google’ if you want more details about your Optus phone account!
Best SIM Only Plans November 2018
Boost Mobile | Best Prepaid Data Rates On The Full Telstra Network
Prepaid | 28 day expiry | On The Telstra Mobile Network 3G+4G
Boost Mobile are a reliable brand. They are the only phone company other than Telstra to resell the full Telstra ‘Retail’ Network. With Boost you’ll get:
- The full Telstra Mobile Network
Other phone companies resell part of the Telstra Mobile Network. Only Boost and Telstra plans allow you access the whole thing.
- Free streamed audio:
Data free streaming of Apple Music (requires subscription) on top of the data included in your plan.
- A range that includes 7 day and 28 day plans:
Boost offer a selection of plans including 7 and 28 day variants.
- Recharge options from $10 to $50:
Boost have a total of 5 recharge options for their prepaid plans, ranging between $10 and $50.
Boost Mobile Plans For Your Mobile
- Boost $20 Prepaid = Unlimited calls & SMS in Oz + 3GB data.
- Boost $30 Prepaid = Unlimited calls & SMS in Oz +35GB (includes 23GB bonus data on first 5 recharges) data.
- Boost $40 Prepaid = Unlimited calls & SMS in Oz + 45GB (includes 23GB bonus data on first 5 recharges) data.
- Boost $50 Prepaid = Unlimited calls & SMS in Oz + 55GB (includes 23GB bonus data on first 5 recharges) data.
- Boost $70 Prepaid = Unlimited calls & SMS in Oz + 75GB (includes 23GB bonus data on first 5 recharges) data.
All talk time and SMS for use in Australia to Australian numbers. All data is for use in Australia. You can learn more about this company in our Boost Mobile review.
Strong, Simple Plans & A Well Known Brand
Amaysim | Prepaid Plans | Optus Mobile Network 3G+4G
Amaysim are the 4th biggest phone company in Australia with over 1m customers. They consistently have one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry and have prepaid (28 day expiry) plan range – just select the option you want in their checkout. With Amaysim, you’ll get:
- Strong plan range:
Amaysim have a range starting at $10 per month and rising to $50 per month. Data inclusions are up there with the best available and, with Amaysim, things are nice and simple. You’re just buying voice calls, SMS and data. There are no optional extras.
- New International Inclusions:
Any plan you buy, starting at $30 per month will now include free International Calls to 12 destinations.
- Great Customer Experience:
Amaysim are consistently one of the best performing†phone companies when it comes to customer satisfaction.
Amaysim’s plan range:
- Amaysim Unlimited Prepaid $10 = Unlimited calls and SMS + 1.5GB of data.
- Amaysim Unlimited Prepaid $20 = Unlimited calls and SMS + 2.5GB of data.
- Amaysim Unlimited Prepaid $30 = Unlimited calls and SMS + 10GB of data.
- Amaysim Unlimited Prepaid $40 = Unlimited calls and SMS + 20GB of data.
- Amaysim Unlimited Prepaid $50 = Unlimited calls and SMS + 40GB of data.
- Amaysim Unlimited Prepaid $60 = Unlimited calls and SMS + 60GB of data.
- Amaysim As You Go $10 = 15c per min voice, 15c per SMS and 15.4c per MB data.
You can find out more about this company in our Amaysim review.
OVO Mobile – Free Video & Radio Content
Prepaid | 30 day expiry | On the Full Optus 3G and 4G Network
OVO’s offer a totally new way of looking at a phone company – they’re one of our best selling partners. Their plans are, pretty much on a par for data inclusions with the best in the industry. In addition to talk time, SMS and data, OVO’s plans include exclusive access to exclusive video content. All of OVO’s plans come with ‘OVO Play’ an app which lets you watch their free content on your plan. With OVO, you’ll get:
- Free Video Content – Motorsport, Sailing, Gymnastics & Water Polo :
OVO offer a growing list of free video and audio content. Motorsport fans might like the 400 Thunder Professional Drag Racing Series, Australian GT, Formula Drift and other petrol head live streaming. OVO Play also includes other sports like sailing and gymnastics. The price of the content is included in the monthly line rental charge you pay OVO for your prepaid plan. So, importantly: You won’t see your data balance decline while you’re watching them, the streamed content is free.
- Free Streamed Audio:
OVO’s plans also offer FREE radio streaming, also included in your plan offers access to the Tripple M network and other selected stations.
- OVO for Kids:
OVO’s plans come with the offer of free access to Parental Lock software. Buy your child the $9.95 plan from OVO and you’ll be able to monitor what they access on their phone and set times for it to turn off and turn on it’s own connection to the internet.
OVO Plans for your mobile
Picking an OVO plan is simple. All of OVO’s plans include Unlimited talk and SMS in Australia to Australian numbers plus superfast 4G data.
- $9.95 Unlimited = $500 standard calls and unlimited SMS + 1GB.
- $14.95 Unlimited = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 2GB.
- $19.95 Unlimited =Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 4GB.
- $29.95 Unlimited = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 10GB.
- $34.95 Unlimited = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 25GB.
- $49.95 Unlimited = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 40GB (40GB every 30 days ongoing if purchased on or before the 31 January 2019).
You can learn more about them and their unique content in our OVO review.
Prepaid | 30 day expiry | On the Full Optus 4G Plus Network
Yomojo are unique in the Australian market. They offer you an unbelievable range of plans. Yomojo’s plans are completely configurable through their website. They also have some pre-configured unlimited plans for those who want a more standardised plan.
- Prepay Plans :
Yomojo recently revised their plan range and now offer prepaid plans only.
- Use the full Optus 4G Plus network :
Yomojo use the full Optus 4G network. You’ll get the latest 4G speeds in 4G coverage areas in all the same places as customers who go to Optus direct.
Yomojo plans for your mobile
- Yomojo Unlimited $9.90 = 200 minutes of standard calling and unlimited SMS in Oz + 1GB.
- Yomojo Unlimited $15.90 = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 2GB.
- Yomojo Unlimited $29.90 = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 8GB.
- Yomojo Unlimited $34.90 = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 15GB.
- Yomojo Unlimited $59.90 = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 30GB (3G data speeds.)
- Yomojo Unlimited $89.90 = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 90GB (3G data speeds.)
You can learn more about them and their unique content in our Yomojo review.
Kogan Mobile – Best Value on the Vodafone Network
Prepaid | 30 day expiry | On the Full Vodafone 3G and 4G Network
Kogan Mobile keep it simple. They have some of the most competitive SIM Only / Prepaid plans in Australia, on the much improved Vodafone network. With their multi month recharge options, Kogan add some genuine value and choice to the market.
With Kogan, you’ll get
- Monthly, quarterly or annual options : Do you want a single recharge payment with a 1, 3 or 12 month validity ? With Kogan, you’ll get discounts for multi-month purchases you were going to make anyway. They add the convenience of less frequent running out / topping up. And they keep the total predictability and flexibility of prepaid.
Kogan’s 30 day plan range :
Kogan’s 30 day plans all have Unlimited talk and SMS in Australia to Australian numbers. The difference is the amount of data which is included.
- Kogan SMALL $16.9 – 30 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 3GB.
- Kogan MEDIUM $29.9 – 30 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 13GB.
- Kogan LARGE $36.9 – 30 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 20GB.
- Kogan EXTRA LARGE $49.9 – 30 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 40GB. 90% OFF – save $45.00. Valid for new Kogan Mobile customers. Offer ends 11:59PM 31.01.2019
- Kogan SMALL $46.90 – 90 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 3GB.
- Kogan MEDIUM $79.90 – 90 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 13GB.
- Kogan LARGE $99.90 – 90 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 20GB.
- Kogan EXTRA LARGE $139.90 – 90 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 40GB.
- Kogan SMALL $179.90 – 365 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 3GB every 30 days. 10% OFF – save $18.08. Valid for new and existing Kogan Mobile customers. Offer ends 11:59PM 31.01.2019
- Kogan MEDIUM $299.90 – 365 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 13GB every 30 days. 25% OFF – save $77.25. Valid for new and existing Kogan Mobile customers. Offer ends 11:59PM 31.01.2019
- Kogan LARGE $399.90 – 365 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 20GB. 35% OFF – save $145.60. Valid for new and existing Kogan Mobile customers. Offer ends 11:59PM 31.01.2019
- Kogan EXTRA LARGE $529.90 – 365 Days = Unlimited calls and SMS in Oz + 40GB. 40% OFF – save $214.80. Valid for new and existing Kogan Mobile customers. Offer ends 11:59PM 31.01.2019
All talk time and SMS for use in Australia to Australian numbers. All data is for use in Australia. See all Kogan Plans including 90 day and 365 day plans. You can find out more about this company in our Kogan Mobile review.
Digitisation of the customer experience
Optus has been on a journey of continuous innovation and improvement with respect to their customer service. The rapid uptake in voice assistant experiences such as Google Home has demonstrated there is a desire from consumers to simplify everyday tasks, and with Optus Assistant for Google Assistant, the company has made it simple to manage life admin tasks like quickly checking data usage or phone bill balance. With many customers already using the My Optus App, extending the functionality to Google was a natural step towards making the customer experience more effortless and digitised. This “game-changing move” lets customers simplify how they manage their account and ask questions on impulse without the need for a handheld device.
Optus is the first telco and one of the first businesses in Australia to launch customer service solutions through Google Assistant. It has only been preceded by banking giant NAB, which began a pilot of ‘Talk to NAB’ just last month. The service lets the bank’s customers ask questions about accounts, credit cards, personal loans, travel cards and Internet banking to Google Assistant.
How it works
The ‘Optus Assistant’ can be accessed from within your Google Assistant, Google Home or Google Mini apps on your phone. You do not have to install the separate My Optus App to manage your account anymore. You can ask your questions directly to Google Assistant and receive information about your Optus account within the Google app itself.
Linking your Optus account to Google
This is how you connect to Optus from within your Google Assistant, Google Home or Google Mini apps:
- Find Optus Assistant in the Explore section of your Google app OR
- Simply say ‘Talk to Optus’
- Google Assistant will check if your Optus account has been linked. If not, it will link the account for you.
- For linking, you will be taken to an Optus website
- Enter your phone number
- A code will be messaged to your phone to verify your identity
- Enter your code in the Google app.
Asking your questions
Currently, Google Assistant supports only Optus post-paid accounts. Once your account is linked, you can ask questions based on billing, travel and usage. Example questions include, but not limited to:
- How much do I owe?
- How much data do I have left this month?
- What are the roaming rates in Italy?
- How many days left for this billing cycle?
- How many call minutes have I used?
- How many text messages have I sent?
- How much data did I use today?
- How much data did I use in the last week? (Up to 90 days prior)
- Which app used the most data?
- Show my data usage by app.
- When is my bill payment due?
This is only the first release, and within a few months, more information and support for pre-paid customers is expected to be included. Pre-paid customers can also expect features that let them set reminders and alerts for low balance or when Optus places a charge on their credit card.
This Month’s Hot Offers